Spring Education Day 2017
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE 2017 SPRING EDUCATION DAY HAS BEEN CANCELLED. THE 2017 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING WILL BE RESCHEDULED AND NOTIFICATION CIRCULATED TO ALL MEMBERS WHEN THE NEW DATE IS DETERMINED.
ALL REGISTRANTS WILL HAVE THEIR REGISTRATION FEES REFUNDED OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CONTACT THE OKA OFFICE: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Spring Education Day will be an excellent opportunity to meet and network with industry colleagues from across the Province, as well as gaining valuable education on current topics within the field.
- 7:30am - Registration, Networking & Exhibitors
- 8:00am - Hot Topics in Professional Regulation: A Legal Update - Elyse Sunshine, LLB, OKA Legal Counsel
- 9:30am Morning Break, Networking & Exhibitors
- 10:00am - Osteoporosis, Exercise, and Nutrition - Jenna Gibbs, PhD, Honors BSc(KIN), RKin, and Caitlin McArthur, PhD (c) MScPT BSc(KIN)
- 11:30am - OKA Annual General Meeting
- 12:15pm - Lunch, & Exhibitors
- 1:00pm - Leveraging the Digital Environment for your Success - Jay Strauss, Armstrong Strategy Group
- 2:30pm - Afternoon Break
- 2:45pm - Concussion Treatment and Recovery : An Evidence-Informed Primer for Kinesiologists - Dr. Craig Coghlin
Full outlines of the Education Day sessions and presenter bio's can be found below.
SPONSORS & EXHIBITORS:
Interested in exhibiting at the 2017 OKA Spring Education Day? A limited number of table-top display opportunities are available on a first-come basis. This is an excellent opportunity to showcase your product or service to professional kinesiologists. Please download the Sponsorship/Exhibitor information at this link: 2017SponsorshipPackage.pdf
If you have any questions please contact the OKA office.
Please note that exhibitor opportunities are strictly limited to provide maximum exposure to delegates. Please secure your space early to avoid disappointment.
Full Session Outlines and Presenter Bio's:Session 1 - Elyse Sunshine, LLB, OKA Legal Counsel
- Hot Topics in Professional Regulation: A Legal Update: Practicing Kinesiologists need to be aware of important legal issues that can impact on their day to day activities. In this presentation, we will consider some of the most pressing legal issues facing health professionals and review important cases with a view to providing practical tips to help attendees navigate challenging legal waters.
- Elyse Sunshine is a partner with Rosen-Sunshine, LLP, and legal counsel to the OKA. Elyse assists health care professionals, health associations and organizations by providing advice and opinions with respect to regulatory, administrative and civil matters. Elyse has experience in assisting various health professionals with professional matters before their licensing bodies (including, registration, complaints, discipline, fitness, and quality assurance), hospitals, employers and the government.
Session 2 - Caitlin McArthur, PhD (c) MScPT BSc(KIN) & Jenna Gibbs, PhD, Honors BSc(KIN), RKin
Osteoporosis, Exercise, and Nutrition: This session will Define osteoporosis and fragility fractures and the related clinical consequences; Describe the role of exercise and nutrition in the prevention and management of osteoporosis; Provide an in-depth overview of the Too Fit to Fracture recommendations, with a demonstration of example exercises from each domain, and Describe available resources for kinesiologists working with people with osteoporosis
- Jenna Gibbs, PhD, Honors BSc(KIN), RKin, is a postdoctoral researcher and registered kinesiologist in the Department of Kinesiology at the University of Waterloo, and holds a Canadian Institutes of Health Research Fellowship Award. Her research aims to understand the influence of physical activity, nutrition, and behaviour on musculoskeletal health and metabolism in diverse populations, including healthy adults, athletes, and individuals at high risk of osteoporosis and fracture.
Caitlin McArthur, PhD (c) MScPT BSc(KIN), is a registered physiotherapist and a PhD Candidate in the kinesiology department at the University of Waterloo. After working in the long-term care sector as a physiotherapist, Caitlin began pursuing her PhD to explore the role of physical rehabilitation in long-term care. Caitlin currently works part-time at an outpatient physiotherapy clinic in Waterloo and is a co-instructor of the Bone Fit ™ course. She has expertise in bone health and rehabilitation in long-term care.
Session 3 - Jay Strauss, Armstrong Strategy Group
- Leveraging the digital environment for your success: The digital landscape is changing quickly and new strategies and tactics are essential for success. This presentation will focus on the emergence of digital marketing tools, and how Kinesiologists can use them in the ever-changing digital environment. Strategies on using social media effectively will be covered, along with how to find insights from big data tools.
- Jay Strauss is a social media and digital communications expert with more than ten years of experience in technology. He has a strategic ability to bridge quickly transforming web and social networking sites in order to propel an organization’s story to new and larger audiences. As a consultant, he focuses on creating engaging digital strategies and impactful social media advertising campaigns for clients. Jay spent seven years working on Parliament Hill. While working in the Office of the Prime Minister of Canada, Jay managed all aspects of Prime Minister Paul Martin's website including design, content and development. Following that work, he joined the Liberal Research Bureau and created the most successful Facebook campaign for a federal government official, and educated numerous senior officials on how to launch and utilize social media campaigns. After his time in politics, Jay joined the clean technology sector where he used digital communications tools to promote the industry.
Session 4 - Dr. Craig Coghlin
- Concussion Treatment and Recovery : An Evidence-Informed Primer for Kinesiologists: Dr. Craig Coghlin will present the most up-to-date information relating to concussion management and how Kins can assist in the process. Communication accuracy and long term consequences will be a focus of the lecture. Attendees will be given the opportunity to learn simple ways to implement exertional testing to assist in the return to play/learn process.
- Dr. Craig Coghlin is a Chiropractor, Strength and Conditioning Specialist and concussion researcher from Listowel, Ontario. He graduated from the University of Western Ontario with a degree in Scholar’s Electives Kinesiology before attending the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College. While at CMCC Dr. Coghlin’s research focused on parents’ knowledge and ability to recognize the symptomotology of concussions in their children. Following graduation in 2007, Dr. Coghlin continued his research while completing his M.Sc. degree at Wilfrid Laurier University studying the role of neck pain in concussed athletes. Dr. Coghlin has been a parttime professor in the Kinesiology department of WLU and currently is the founder and director of Dynamic Health and Rehabilitation, as well as Dynamic Concussion Management based in Listowel. He has completed extensive training with Shift Concussion Management and is certified with ImPACT, the world’s leading concussion testing program.