With a budget of over $150 million and more than 1000 sworn and civilian members, the Waterloo Regional Police Service (WRPS) requires an experienced Communications Professional to fill the role of Manager, Corporate Communications and Public Information.
The WRPS delivers exceptional police services to more than 575,000 residents. The Waterloo Region is a vital and prosperous community in southern Ontario that offers the unique combination of a growing urban Centre comprised of three municipalities: Cambridge, Kitchener, and Waterloo; and surrounded by four rural communities: North Dumfries, Wellesley, Wilmot and Woolwich. You will work in a community proud of its diversity and within an organization focused on its people.
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Manager, Corporate Communications and Public Information will lead the development and execution of the Communications Strategic Plan, including integrated communication strategies, initiatives, and tactics in support of the WRPS Operations Plan.
- Comprehensive knowledge of effective Corporate Communications and Media Relations strategies, acquired through the successful completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Corporate Communications, Media Relations, Public Relations, or related field is required. Attainment of a Master’s degree is preferred.
- Eight (8) years’ relevant experience with internal and external Corporate Communications in multi-media channel environments is required, ideally both public and private sector; an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Three (3) years’ experience managing and supervising staff (assigning work, providing feedback, etc.) is preferred; public sector experience in a unionized environment is considered an asset.
- Superior communication skills required; must be comfortable with public speaking and have exceptional presentation skills.
- Demonstrated expert-level writing experience for various communications mediums, including: print, web, and marketing communications required.
- Exceptional listening skills required; must be able to grasp and articulate complex situations and issues to synthesize information and develop appropriate actions.
- Comprehensive knowledge of crisis management from a communications perspective required.
- A valid Class G Ontario Driver’s License with no more than six (6) demerit points required to travel within the Region.
- Ability to meet police security clearance requirements and to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to participate as an effective team member and to support and project values compatible with the organization.
- Ability to meet testing/portfolio requirements for the position.
Why join WRPS?
- Ongoing professional development
- Excellent benefits and pension
- Dynamic, exciting work environment
- Strong, supportive leadership
- Employee fitness and wellness programs
- Salary range: $108,696 - $127,878
Please submit a resume indicating the position title by Monday, March 4, 2019 at 3pm to:
Mail: Human Resources Branch, Waterloo Regional Police Service
200 Maple Grove Road, Cambridge, Ontario N3H 5M1
If you require accommodation in completing the application process, or with any portion of the application process or interview, please email the WRPS at HumanResources@wrps.on.ca
Diversity through inclusion – we are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected to move forward to be interviewed will be contacted.