Calvin Orok, Hon. B.Sc., M.Sc., C.OHS
Registered Kinesiologist (Ont.) 10977
785 Lakeshore Rd. E, Apt. 5, Mississauga, ON, L5E 1C8, 905-601-3458
33 years of experience including fitness and exercise, small business management, event promotion, disability management, physical demands analyses (PDA’s), functional capacity evaluations, worksite assessments, safety and accident/incident investigation, ergonomic evaluations, clinical exercise prescription and case management of injured workers.
Registered Kinesiologist/Ergonomic Specialist
June 2015 to August 2017. August 2018 to Present
- Kinesiologist and Ergonomic Consultant/Examiner for MVA, Return to Work, Insurance, and Employer cases. Southern Ontario and Northern Ontario
- Hanoun Focus System computerized testing and custom reports.
- Disability Management and Ergonomic Consultant. Fitness and functional testing (FAE, FCE, FWCA), ergonomic consulting, physical demands analyses (PDA’s), and WSIB cases.
- On roster for Ergo-Motion, Auspice Safety, AGS Rehab, Ability at Work, Power and Associates, RNC and Agelic (Northern Lights), and Crawford and Associates.
Registered Kinesiologist (Contract)
August 2017 to August 2018
Altum Health Clinic, University Health Network, Suite 110, 2 Robert Speck Parkway, Mississauga, ON.
- Clinical Exercise testing and prescription for WSIB clients
- Work in collaboration with Physiotherapists and Occupational Therapists
- Involved in Specialty programs including Chronic Pain, Return to Work, & Musculoskeletal Disorders
- Case management and worksite assessments
Registered Kinesiologist/Ergonomic Specialist
March 2014 to June 2015
Meridian Spine & Joint Physiotherapy, Work Strategies Centre, 350 Oxford St. W., Suite 201, London, ON, N6H 1T3 (519)471-7900.
- Post Offer employment testing
- Functional testing with Arcon Veranova System.
- Ergonomic assessments, Physical Demands Analyses in London district
- Rehabilitation and clinical orders, delivery. Meridian Health Products.
- Employer services, newsletters, proposals
- Physiotherapy Assistant and clinical duties as assigned.
Registered Kinesiologist, Northern Ontario 1987-2014 President/Owner Perseverance Exercise Company
303-305 Superior St., White River, ON, POM 3G0 (807) 822-1875
- Ergonomic and Exercise, Health and Safety Consultant, Northern Ontario. Computerized fitness and functional testing, ergonomic consulting, physical demands analyses (PDA’s). Hanoun (BTE) Focus testing system.’
- On roster for national ergonomic companies for Northern Ontario assessments (Ergo-Motion, Auspice Safety, Crawford & Associates, ACE
- Functional Capacity Examiner, Southside Health and Rehabilitation, Lively Physiotherapy 2011 to 2013
- Ergonomic and Exercise Consultant, Northern Ontario. Computerized fitness and functional testing, ergonomic consulting, physical demands analyses (PDA’s). Corporate clients include two smaller mining companies, community college, road construction company, two physiotherapy companies, one rural hospital.
- Performed fitness testing and exercise consulting for adults and seniors.
- Designed and operated a seniors’ exercise program and seniors’ exercise gym in Scarborough for three years (contract, 1997-2000)
- Operated small business - commercial fitness gym and bicycle service for nine years in Gravenhurst, ON (1988 to 1997)
Kinesiologist, CN Rail Risk Management, Vaughan ON.
Mar 10 - Mar 11
One year contract with Health Systems Group, 51 Tannery Rd., Mississauga, ON.
- Performed Job Site Visits, Ergonomic Assessments, Physical Demands Analyses.
- Provided education to CN employees in groups.
- Injury follow up and case management for work related injuries.
- Prepared and monitored Return to Work programs.
- Coordinated Fitness gym membership, facilitate subsidies & maintenance.
- Completed exercise/fitness poster display for Mechanical Employees
Occupational Health & Safety Advisor.
1 year contract (extended) Jul 08 - Feb10
Sudbury Regional Hospital (HRSRH), Sudbury, ON
- Reviewed and followed up workplace inspections and employee incident reports, Parklane software. Monthly and annual statistics, Excel.
- Edited/revised Bariatric Patient Handling Policy and Self Learn Package, MSD Prevention Policy and Minimal Lift (Patients) Policy
- Completed several new MSD training videos and Power Point seminars
- MSD Prevention Working Group organization and chair one year
- Workplace Violence Prevention working group
- Coordination of Safe Patient Handling workshops June 2009, Jan 2010
- Conducted and completed Management Survey Report re. Workplace Violence (Environmental Survey) 2009
- Monthly Orientation for new hires re: MSD Prevention
- Hospital ergonomic evaluations and condensed ergonomic reports.
Safety Program Evaluator
Oct 07-July 08
Pioneer Construction Inc., Copper Cliff, ON
- Edited and contributed to revised Health and Safety Policy and completed Veteran’s Program interviews and documents
- Performed Worksite Assessments and developed/completed new Physical Demands Analyses
- Research and writing related to Safety Program and Bulletins.
- Attended Sector Specific Safety Training (three WSIB levels)
Certified Kinesiologist/Health and Safety Advisor
Aug 06-Sept 07
Acclaim Ability Management Inc., Sudbury, ON
- Performed and completed reports for Hanoun Functional Abilities Evaluations, and Physical Demands Analyses of workplaces, to identify job and task barriers
- Performed Ergonomic Assessments and Post Offer Employment Testing
- Coordinated and maintained Employer Safety Program (Construction - Claims Management and on-site assessment for employers
- Maintained MSDS inventories and Annual Employee Training Schedules
- Provided Health& Safety Orientation & program updates (Construction)
Sudbury Physio Centre, Sudbury, ON
- Performed Functional Capacity Evaluations (2-day Isernhagen Protocol)
- Ergonomic Consultant –office and industrial locations
- Performed Physical Demands Analyses (including mining and underground jobs).
- Performed Post Offer Employment Tests
- Specialist in Return to Work Programs for Inco and other employers
- Kinesiologist assigned to Inco Occupational Medicine and Health Department for three years
- Performed assessments at surface and underground locations for injured employees for five years
- Participated in multidisciplinary return to work meetings involving union, management and WSIB representatives
Kinesiologist / Fitness Specialist
Dept. of Clinical Kinesiology, Muskoka Centre, Gravenhurst
- Developed adapted exercise programs and provided assistive devices and seating for developmentally challenged adults.
- Supervised Co-op Kinesiology students.
- Worked in conjunction with other health professionals.
- Served as Acting Manager six months
- Completed one fitness design project and presented conference abstract.
Education / Specialized Training
Master of Science Kinesiology
University of Waterloo (1987) Work Physiology Option. Areas of study included physiological testing of cyclists and heat stress in runners. Master’s thesis study published. (Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 1989)
Bachelor of Science Kinesiology, Honours
University of Waterloo (1983) Bachelor’s thesis study published. (Int. J. Sports
Occupational Health and Safety Certificate Program
Ryerson University (2006-2010). Completed eight distance courses, GPA 3.7 OHS Certificate Spring 2011.
Certifications and Training
Class Z Air Brake Training 2015.
Certified Associate Ergonomic Professional (AEP) Exam April 2011
BCLS CPR Dec. 2009.
WHMIS Nov. 2009.
Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Sept. 2008.
Construction Safety (WSIB Sector Specific Training) 2008.
Certified Exercise Physiologist (CEP) Upgrade workshop Dec. 1, 2007.
Construction Supervisory Training (2007).
Confined Space Entry (2007).
NORCAT Contractor Orientation (2007).
Certified Ergonomics Specialist (EK Gillin and Associates, 2004).
Ergonomics Undergraduate Course (2002.
Isernhagen (Workwell) Functional Capacity Evaluations and Physical Demands Analyses (2001).
UWO Seniors’ Fitness Instructor Course (1999).
Certified Fitness Appraiser (1989).
CPR Instructor course (1988).
- Committee Member, CKO, Exam related, April 2015 and June 2016
- Committee member, Writing Essential Competencies of Practice for Kinesiologists in Ontario, April & May 2014 (3 days, CKO)
- Registered Kinesiologist, College of Kinesiologists of Ontario, Nov. 13, 2013
- Certified Kinesiologist, Ontario Kinesiology Association (2005 to 2013)
- Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (2003, 2004, 2007-2011)
- Associate Ergonomic Professional, BCPE Inc., April 2011 (#1740)
- Past Memberships: American College of Sports Medicine and Human Factors and Ergonomics Society
- Rotary International, Gravenhurst and East York Rotary Clubs (1989-2000)
- Community walk and run organizer, Gravenhurst. Heartwarmer and Terry Fox Runs. Volunteer 6 years.
- Summer concert co-promoter - folk and blues musicians, facilitating concerts in Northern Ontario, 2008 to present.
- Newspaper column, Gravenhurst News and Gravenhurst Banner (9 years)