CCHS Facility: Cleveland Clinic Canada
Job Title: Exercise Physiologist
Position Reports To: Clinical Team Leader, Exercise Physiology
ABOUT CLEVELAND CLINIC
As a global, academic medical centre, Cleveland Clinic has provided world class patient care to people from around the world since 1921. Our ongoing commitment to innovation and research has led to many incredible medical firsts including the first coronary artery bypass. These extraordinary credentials along with our passion for our patients have generated global recognition and demand for our model of care. Cleveland Clinic Canada, the Canadian location of the Cleveland Clinic, opened in 2006 and is located in downtown Toronto. Our multi-disciplinary team of clinicians provides a variety of medical and wellness services that help prevent disease and improve overall quality of life. To learn more visit www.clevelandclinic.ca
The exercise physiologist conducts a clinical exercise assessment on individual patients, including review of medical history, stress ECG, muscle strength, flexibility and personal physical activity habits. The exercise physiologist then generates a written exercise prescription and devises an appropriate schedule of follow up counselling. The exercise physiologist communicates constantly with other members of the CCC team, as well as personal trainers, coaches and external clinicians.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Master's degree in Exercise Physiology or a minimum of 6 years in a related field. Advanced training in exercise principles/prescription for clinical populations, graded exercise testing and rehabilitation. An understanding of stress tests, ECG’s and VO2’s.
Required Length and Type of Experience
- Minimum of 5 years experience.
Required Licensure, Certification or Registry
- Member in good standing with CSEP, ACSM, COKO or HFFC
Required Physical and Environmental Demands
- Must be able to stand/walk for long periods of time and abliltiy to help patients stand and walk. Will require some lifting, bending, twisting of upper extremity to help limited patients. Must be able to adapt to different room temperatures in exercise facility and patient rooms.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review chart and interview patient to identify clinical, physiological, psychosocial and educational status.
- Document patient history, clinical course and current status in medical records.
- Collect appropriate clinical information, including vitals, muscle strength, flexibility, cardiovascular fitness.
- Prescribe appropriate exercise prescription, and recommend appropriate course of follow up.
- Participate in independent and/or collaborative research.
- Participate and/or lead professional development sessions.
- Perform select other duties as assigned.
CCHS ORGANIZATION-WIDE COMPETENCY ASSESSMENT REQUIREMENTS:
All employees are expected to meet the standards of performance outlined in the Organization-Wide Competencies listed below as applied to the position.
Customer Service Orientation includes attitude, behaviour, interpersonal skill, and problem solving that enable an employee to respond to internal and external customer needs and expectations in a positive manner.
Adaptability includes teamwork, flexibility needed to fulfill job responsibilities, adapting to changes in work environment and accepting supervisory feedback.
Efficiency and Effectiveness includes quantity and quality of desired work, as well as organization skills necessary to perform successfully.
Essential Job Requirements includes adherence to all relevant policies, procedures, and guidelines affecting the work environment, as well as maintenance of required competencies and communication skills.
Managerial Responsibilities (if applicable) includes overall accountability for assigned work group relative to operational goals, personnel requirements, and budgetary constrain
NOTE: The above stated duties are intended to outline those functions typically performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This description of duties is not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit the discretionary authority of supervisors to assign other tasks of similar nature or level of responsibility.
Please direct all submissions to:
Lauren Miyazaki – Coordinator, Human Resources
Cleveland Clinic Canada
Via e-mail at email@example.com