The CHANGE Program, Canadian Health Advanced by Nutrition and Graded Exercise, is an evidence-based interdisciplinary primary care intervention designed to support adults with healthy eating and active living. The CHANGE Program was created by leading health professionals at Metabolic Syndrome Canada (www.metsc.ca) to provide Family Health Teams with the tools they need to offer effective, lasting lifestyle intervention to patients. Based on evidence from diet and exercise research, the CHANGE Program focuses on long-term changes and overall well-being. It simultaneously targets the conditions that often progress to high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, and diabetes, while reducing the need for medication. The CHANGE Program is led by primary care physicians and supported by interdisciplinary teams of dietitians and exercise specialists
Metabolic Syndrome Canada has been working with Family Health Teams in Ontario (www.metcs.ca) , Primary Care Networks Alberta (https://www.changealberta.net/) and Divisions of Family Practice in in British Columbia (https://www.changebc.net/) to implement the CHANGE Program. With the help of Ontario Trillium Foundation’s GROW Grant, MetSC will be scaling up the CHANGE Program to patients from Family Health Teams in Brampton over 3 years starting in 2018.
Senior Kinesiologist Consultant Responsibilities/Duties
As a subject matter expert in the field of Kinesiology, the Senior Kinesiologist Consultant will be responsible for providing direction to the kinesiologists involved in the CHANGE Program and to the Core Project Team. He/she will be a member of the Core Project Team and will report to the Director of Operations of Metabolic Syndrome Canada.
Registered kinesiologists will be hired from the Brampton, Halton-Peel area to deliver the exercise intervention to participants of the CHANGE Program. They will be responsible for conducting fitness assessments on participants from the local family health teams that have metabolic syndrome. Each participant will be followed by the registered kinesiologist weekly for the first 12 weeks and then monthly for the last 9 months of the program. Kinesiology student placements with Sheridan College, Davis Campus, Brampton are being explored.
The Senior Kinesiologist Consultant will:
- Train the registered kinesiologists that will be delivering the CHANGE Program exercise intervention on the procedures established by the MetSC team
- Provide direction to the registered kinesiologists on fitness assessments, follow up visits, goal setting, motivational interviewing and other aspects of lifestyle counselling
- Assist with the creation of new and modification of existing tools and program materials aimed at registered kinesiologists & participants
- Assist with the identification of concerns related to the exercise intervention delivery/participant compliance/progress and offer solutions to Core Project Team
- Assist with the development of feasible methods for collection of data related to changes in physical activity and program evaluation
- Participates in regular project status meetings with Director of Operations of Metabolic Syndrome Canada.
- Attends meeting with Core Team as needed
Senior Kinesiologist Consultant Qualifications:
- 4-year University degree in Physical Education, Kinesiology or Exercise Science
- Registered with the College of Kinesiologists of Ontario
- CSEP-CPT who is in progress of obtaining their CSEP-CEP
- 4-year University degree in Physical Education, Kinesiology or Exercise Science.
- CSEP-CEP, ACSM-CEP, or ACSM-RCEP
Additional Qualifications Required/preferred:
- Experience in exercise training for people with medical conditions
- Experience working with a collaborative, multidisciplinary care team
- Demonstrated organizational and communication skills
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills
- An excellent attendance record
- Strong computer skills, with the ability to chart data related to medical conditions
- Current First Aid CPR/AED Certification (Heart and Stroke Foundation BLS Level CHealth Care Provider)
- A clear criminal record check
- No more than 1 day (8 hrs) per week
- Yearly contract starting April or May 2018, up to 3 years, to be renewed upon performance reviews and grant milestones.
For more details, contact Rupinder Dhaliwal, Director Operations, Metabolic Syndrome Canada at Rupinder.email@example.com.
To learn more about the CHANGE Program, please visit www.metabolicsyndromecanada.ca