Are you focused on wellness and committed to healthy, active living? Have you worked with adults in a corporate or community wellness environment? If so, take this opportunity to lead by example as part of Peel Regional Police’s Fitness and Healthy Lifestyle Unit.
As a Healthy Lifestyle Specialist, you will support the development, delivery and evaluation of all health promotion-based activities for Peel Police within the Fitness and Healthy Lifestyle Unit. More specifically, you will be expected to:
- Develop Healthy Lifestyle targets by utilizing existing data from within the organization, including Health Risk Appraisal data, along with relevant research on health risks, to create a yearly prevention plan.
- Perform individual wellness assessments for employees, including the design of a wellness plan, providing referrals to health professionals or resources, and initiation of regular follow-ups to help with adherence and support.
- Present information on coping with shiftwork, wellness basics, sleep, nutrition, etc., to employees and family members.
- Provide initial and ongoing coaching and support for issues, including blood pressure and blood cholesterol monitoring, regular weigh-ins, teaching resiliency-based activities required for mental health and/or stress coping, and lifestyle issues.
- Identify, facilitate and evaluate external vendors with proactive prevention programs that support wellness topics such as cardiovascular disease prevention, weight management, stress management, healthy eating, injury prevention and smoking cessation.
- Co-ordinate, facilitate and evaluate the Health Professionals Awareness Program and on-site health screening clinics.
- Co-ordinate specialized activity class instruction (e.g. Tai Chi, Warrior Yoga, Mindfulness and Mediation, etc.), including the sourcing of appropriate specialists, determining suitability, tracking payment by participants and verifying invoices prior to payment.
- Assist in the development, delivery, and evaluation of incentive-based programs that include wellness activities structured to motivate positive behaviour change (e.g. Target Life, Arterial Pursuit, 12 Days of Wellness, etc.).
- Assist in the planning, co-ordination and delivery of the Children’s Program and Youth Leadership Program.
- Contribute to the preparation of the healthy lifestyle budget, prepare requisitions for the purchase of supplies, and make projections for new activities to be presented in the overall Fitness & Healthy Lifestyle Unit budget.
- Complete daily tracking of data and compile statistics for annual reporting.
- Design promotions to increase awareness, education, satisfaction, adherence and attendance for healthy lifestyle programs.
- Research new wellness trends, with a particular focus on behaviour modification to improve health outcomes and the application of new technologies to engage employees.
- Perform additional duties, as assigned.
In the role of Specialist – Healthy Lifestyle, you will apply the following education, experience and skills:
- A university degree in Health Sciences, Health Promotion, Psychology, Physical Education / Kinesiology or a wellness-related field, or an equivalent combination of education and related work experience
- A certificate or diploma in Workplace Wellness and/or Health Promotion
- First Aid/CPR Certification
- Demonstrated basic knowledge of related computer applications pertinent to the function
- Demonstrated planning and organization skills
- Effective oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated written communication, training and presentation skills
- Valid Ontario Driver’s Licence (Class G) with full driving privileges
- A minimum of 2 years of experience working with adults in a corporate or community wellness environment, specializing in a minimum of 4 of the following areas: occupational wellness; spiritual wellness; emotional wellness; financial wellness; physical wellness; family wellness; social wellness; intellectual wellness; health coaching; health data analysis and/or marketing and promotion in a wellness setting
- A demonstrated commitment to healthy, active living through personal involvement in a wellness-focused lifestyle
- Additional experience working with children and/or adolescent youth and/or families and/or emergency service personnel, preferred
Ability to successfully complete the following tests: MS Excel; MS Outlook; MS PowerPoint; MS Word; and Driver Evaluation.
The salary range for this permanent, full-time position is $45,333 to $69,707 per annum, and is complemented by a comprehensive benefit program, including employer-paid Health/Dental (after 6 months) and Life Insurance, and the OMERS Pension Plan.
Peel Regional Police is committed to ensuring the health and wellness of its employees and offers many programs and services in support of work-life balance and both personal and professional wellness. From wellness protection for you and your family, to state-of-the-art fitness facilities available to you free of charge, to structured programs to nurture your intellectual, physical and emotional wellness, we’ve got you covered.
Our Vision: A Safer Community Together
Peel Regional Police, the second largest municipal police service in Ontario, polices the cities of Mississauga and Brampton (population 1,346,000) and serves the 44 million travellers who pass through Toronto Pearson International Airport annually.
Peel Regional Police is acknowledged as one of Canada’s most progressive police services. A proactive approach to problem-solving, a dedication to professional excellence and a reputation for making the community a better place in which to live and work – these are the hallmarks of Peel Regional Police.
Qualified persons should apply online at www.peelpolice.ca, referencing Job ID #302040, by Sunday, January 21, 2018. No agency contact and/or referrals, please.
Applicants in consideration for hire shall be subject to a thorough background investigation that includes, but is not limited to, police checks with local, provincial and out-of-country law enforcement agencies if required, education credentials, credit and financial inquiries, and personal and work references.